5 Questions to Have in Mind when Shopping for Rugs
In the previous blog post we talked about 4 simple tips to select the right rug, and in this follow up post, we felt we should break this down even further – so here we have the 5 simple questions to keep in mind when shopping for area rugs!
Area rugs are an investment financially and design wise, since they can take away from one’s pocket but give back in terms of life and beauty added to one’s home. This means selecting them comes with the added pressure of making the right choice.
So to help assist you in your quest, we share the practical questions/list to have in mind before you head out!
- Overall style – Always bear in mind the overall style of the room you want to add the new rug. This means opting for a choice that both appeals to your design aesthetic and also fits with the existing room style. A rug doesn’t need to match everything; it just needs to harmonize the existing furnishings (textures, tones, and colors) of the room. Also keep in mind how often you update the room décor – whether you are all about seasonal interiors (regularly changing your décor), or more timeless and classic. This will help a great deal in selecting the right rug design.
- Lifestyle – The style of the rug naturally would also be influenced by the type of lifestyle you lead. This means a home with young children or toddlers, house pets or frequent social events need to be kept in mind. Often you won’t want to have a silk fine rug placed in a living space with young children or pets. So the type or material also comes into the equation.
- Rug Placement & Use – This is an important question to have in mind because the type of rug you choose should depend on where you intend to place the rug. There would be a different rug type for a formal room where it may serve as a centerpiece, versus a casual den or family room.
- Rug Maintenance – All rugs require a certain level of maintenance and care. Depending on the type and material of the rug, you will need to have it cleaned professionally once a year. So the kind of maintenance you can manage or prefer could also be kept in mind when choosing an area rug (for your needs).
- Expenditure – Keeping in mind your budget, you can look at an array of rugs for your needs. A variety of area rugs are available for every budget, but the best bet is to invest in a high quality fine area rug that will last decades (and even generations if taken care of well!), rather than a cheaper rug which may not last much beyond the short term. Remember quality and price do often go hand in hand.