Handmade area rugs can be precious possession for any and so it needs relatively more care as compared to area rugs. If you are planning on storing your rug for a long period of time it is important to take following steps in order to maintain the beauty and enhance durability of handmade area rugs:
- Use cloth to wrap it, be sure not to use an airtight plastic bag. Handmade Rugs need to breathe and they will sometimes rot or mildew if not able to.
- Your rug could also be rolled up and kept cool dry place with some moth crystals, which should be replaced every few months.
- Ideally, large rugs should be rolled around a pole, let the protruding ends rest on blocks or trestles.
- It is suitable to let carpets lie flat on top of one another for any length of time.
- DO NOT store rugs in a hot and humid or poorly ventilated room. This will cause mildew, which has a musty odor, and also discolor the fabrics, and weakens the rugs.
- Never leave a rug wet. Failure to remove all the moisture might result in mildew.
- DO NOT store a handmade rug in a hot closet, this could result in the base of your rug drying out and becoming brittle, and also destroying its strength and durability.