Fine area rugs are beautiful works of art that can be used to enhance any home. The rich colors, weave and textures of a handmade fine rug go a long way in ensuring quality and lasting value. The more information you acquire on fine rugs, the greater the appreciation for the skilled artistry behind each fine rug.
When it comes to buying handmade fine rugs, there are some things you should have in mind. Of course it goes without saying that the rug store you decide on is a crucial element in your rug buying experience. A good fine rug store will be able to satisfy your every concern or query and offer quality rugs. This would take away most of the hassle but there are tips that can come in handy when you are not an expert yourself.
Below we share 5 things to assess when buying a fine area rug:
1. How does the rug itself feel? The best quality fine rugs are hand-knotted and made of wool, silk, artificial silk, or a blend of these. The weave of the rug should be checked to determine its strength and ability to hold well to use and traffic. While there are a number of other materials that can be used to make a fine rug, such as silk and silk blends, it is important to choose the rug material based on the location you have in mind for the rug itself. For example, if you need a fine rug to place in a high traffic room then wool will be your best bet. If you want to display the rug as an art piece, use it in your bedroom, bathroom, office, or any of the less traffic area of the home, then a silk or bamboo silk would be an excellent choice.
2. Is the rug color fast? You need to be sure of the quality of the dye itself. There are two ways to do this, first is to take a white towel, wet it with cold water and rub it on every color used on the rug. If the dye is not color fast, it will bleed on to the towel in most cases. There will be lint on the towel from the rug and this doesn’t mean color bleeding. The second, and the best way to alleviate yourself of any worries about the dyes, or any other factor regarding the quality of the rug, is to deal with a reputable, well reviewed dealer who guarantees the rugs so your don’t have to worry about any issues regarding the quality of the rug. Alyshaan Fine Rugs of Scottsdale Arizona, located in the Scottsdale Design Center, guarantees every rug they sell for material and workmanship with no time limit, and they are the most highly recommended and well-reviewed rug store in Arizona.
3. What is the rug design and shape like? Hand-knotted fine rugs are never identical. Since the rugs themselves are created by skilled artisans using their own hands, variations always exist. This adds to the beauty and uniqueness of the fine rug each person acquires. The difference can also be seen in the shape of the rug, for example they are not always perfectly rectangular. It is important however, to assess that areas of the weave don’t have flaws. Other than that, fine rugs offer a variety of design and shape options for every area of your home!
4. How is the back of the rug? A lot of times a rug can look beautiful face up but it’s always wise to look at the back of the rug too. In case of any ends that are loose, or falling apart, or dyes showing discoloration, or weaving issues will be apparent from the back. A good rug store will always carry quality rugs so this should not be too much of a concern but if upon inspection you do find some issues, simply ask! The best rug stores will have excellent customer service and leave you satisfied before making the all-important purchase.
5. What kind of rug maintenance and after-care is needed? This is a question to keep in mind because depending on the type of area rug you choose (material), it will require cleaning in a slightly different way. Of course if you are not willing to commit to too much after-care then that might influence your choice of area rug itself too and its placement in the home. However, you need not worry because reputable rug stores like Alyshaan Fine Rugs also offer repair and cleaning services, taking out the hassle from your fine rug shopping experience!